Thursday, August 16, 2007

Maths A Brain Tumor Symptom?

My Dad really lost his maths ability.

That sounds a bit odd I know, but I will give you an example. One day he was putting some shade cloth over a pergola, this was about 18 months before we knew about the tumor. The pergola was 3m by 5m in rectangular area, and he could not figure out how much shade cloth he needed.

Not just a minor I'm having a bit of trouble, but a major it took 3 days for him to figure that out. This is from a person that worked on a farm all his life and could easily do this. He also knew he should be able to figure it out. But he just couldn't do it.

This was also the case with another person that I spoke to about their brain tumor, they had simple maths problems they could not figure out, even though they were an electrical engineer. The issue was not the calculation, but how to do it, the problem solving.

No comments: